This comprehensive 50 hour program with an 80 hour externship will prepare students to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail or other pharmacy setting and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam. Course content includes pharmacy medical terminology, the history of pharmacy, the pharmacy practice in multiple environments, pharmacy calculations and measurements, reading and interpreting prescriptions and defining drugs by generic and brand names. Through classroom lecture and hands on labs, students will review dosage calculations, drug classifications, the “top 200 drugs”, I.V. flow rates, sterile compounding, dose conversions, aseptic technique, the handling of sterile products, total parenteral nutrition (TPN), dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control and billing and reimbursement.
This program meets the necessary requirements to take the Pharmacy Technician Certified Board (PTCB) – Certified Pharmacy Technician (PTCB) exam.
Clinical Externship: As part of this Pharmacy Technician program, you are required to participate in an 80-hour clinical externship.
90% in-class attendance is required.
BCI and FBI background check*
- WorkKeys® testing* (must achieve a level 4 or higher)
- Copy of high school diploma or HSE
The following clinical requirements are due 2 weeks after class begins:
- Physical exam*
- Two-step TB test*
- Immunization record (MMR, Varicella, Tdap and Hepatitis B 3-dose series)
- Drug screen*
- Flu Shot*
- Updated resume
- Release Form
*May be additional cost
Ready to Enroll?
- Watch the information session video
- Fill out the Health Professions Academy Interest Form
- Print admission packet to the left and complete requirements listed for your program
- Submit completed program requirements to Scarlet Oaks
- Register for class with full payment or funding
- Contact Vernocia Johnson, Supervisor, 513.612.7019, firstname.lastname@example.org or Colleen Baldwin, Secretary, 513.612.5789, email@example.com
The Pharmacy Technician program is offered at Great Oaks by Condensed Curriculum International (CCI). Since 1993, CCI has supported schools in communities nationwide with educational programs focused on healthcare and other in-demand disciplines.